A new update to Summon is going live today or tomorrow, and there are a few items you should be aware of. I’m summarizing things here, but the full txt of the announcement is below.
- Flow is changing to RefWorks. To access the free version of RefWorks, users will have to go through the Summon interface. Once they have created an account, they will be able to access RefWorks without going through Summon, but the signup for the free version is only available through Summon.
- LC Call Numbers will appear correctly in the preview pane, instead of Dewey numbers. This was something that occurred only sporadically here, so we didn’t notice it much.
- LibGuides indexing was improved.
- Summon will now include altmetrics in addition to other impact factors, like citation counts in Web of Science.
We are pleased to notify you of a minor release of the Summon service scheduled to be completed by Wednesday, January 20 PST. Below you will find highlights of user-facing enhancements and bug fixes. In order to accommodate the Wednesday release, we will not have our regularly scheduled Wednesday Search Index Update. We will resume our regular schedule with a Search Index Update on Friday, January 22 PST.
Enhancements and Bug Fixes
We are making the following changes to improve performance and usability with Summon 2.0:
- Addition of Altmetric to the Summon UI
- You now have the ability to activate an Altmetric Badge within Summon. Altmetric Badges display information about an article’s scholarly impact as expressed through online, social media and news mentions. You can find out more at Altmetric.com. An example of the “medium” adge can be seen at https://www.altmetric.com/products/altmetric-badges/.
- For content that has associated Altmetrics, this badge will appear and will link to basic reporting from Altmetric.com. This reporting is available without subscription.
- You can activate the Altmetric Badge on the Side Bar on the Summon Results Page, on the Catalog Detail Page and within the Summon Results through the administration console. The default setting is for these badges to be turned off in your instance of Summon.
- Consortium: Change “Items at My Location” Facet behavior to include all resources
- Previously, limiting to Items at My Institution in a consortium setting for Summon included print material but excluded electronic resources available at your specific institution.
- We’ve modified the logic so that the Items at My Location Facet now displays the resources a patron has immediate access to, both print and digital.
- When the user selects the “Items at my institution” filter, the results include both 1) the library’s electronic holdings based in their Intota or Client Center profile and 2) the catalog holdings from that individual institution only, not including content from other consortium members.
- Bug Fixes
- LC call numbers now appear in the preview pane in Summon 2.0. Previously Dewey call numbers appeared, but not LC call numbers. They will now show up in the preview pane. Individual institutions can turn this on or off for their specific instance.
- Improved ingestion of libguides for topics content; previously topic content processing added new libguides without discarding previous ones; this change should insure that the newest values will appear in topic pane
- Corrected an issue with the email/export option regarding variations between the use of an abbreviation for “edition” and spelling it out; previously the email/export option would format the citation incorrectly if “edition” was spelled out.
- RefWorks Replaces Flow
- This week all interface labels and branding, within Summon and the Summon Administration Console, will be updated to reflect RefWorks instead of Flow. In addition, free individual access to RefWorks will be only available through the Summon interface. Read more about the Summon-RefWorks integration and the benefits it provides to your users through the Summon 2.0 interface.